When are eye examinations necessary?
- Providers recommend an eye exam every one to two years for normal findings, and more often if managing or treating eye-care diseases.
- Persons with diabetes are at risk for several eye disorders and should have eye examinations every year.
- Patients 65 and older should typically have a dilated eye examination annually.
Primary Eye Care and Exams Services
- Educating patients about maintaining and promoting healthy vision.
- Performing a comprehensive examination of the visual system.
- Full-service optical services for all members of the family.
- Screening for eye diseases and conditions affecting vision.
- Treatment of conditions and disorders of the eye.
- Recognizing ocular manifestations of systemic diseases and systemic effects of ocular medications.
- Making diagnoses for any detected abnormalities.
- Performing refractions.
- Fitting and prescribing optical aids such as glasses and contact lenses.
- Counseling and educating patients about eye disease.
- Recognizing and managing the effects of drug therapy.
- Performing surgery when necessary.